I took a quick trip to the yarn store yesterday afternoon with my bag. The ladies there agreed that it wasn’t felted enough (unless I wanted it partially felted, which I didn’t). So I came home and gave it another 7 min run in the washer. This time when I took it out it was felted like it should be. It’s nice and sturdy now and it won’t need any lining. Now I gotta wait another few days until it dries again.
Wholly Guacamole! I actually finished something September 26, 2010
I actually finished a project that is larger than a scarf or a hat. I’m one of those people who like to start projects and not finish them. I get bored rather easily. I guess the one thing that helped is that I did this project for a class at my lys, Yarn Gallery.
The project was Fiber Trends Fabulous Felt Tote. I did the smallest size since I am currently taking a “learn to knit socks on DPNs” at the store. The yarn used for my project was Ester Bitran Andes Hand-dyed. I used color-way 13. It’s a blend of pink/olive. As the novelty yarn, I used Muench Fabu in colorway M4325
I did the bag a bit differently than printed in the pattern. I modeled mine after the store sample. So the novelty was used in the majority of the bag and not the top portion. But I did have to skip about 1 1/2 inches of the top border since I would have ran out of yarn were I to do the stated length.
Here is the unfelted bag and the felted bag (the felted picture was taken while the bag was drying).
I think I’m going to line it since I probably could have felted it a bit longer. It doesn’t seem as sturdy as the shop sample, nor as small. But it’s the first time I’ve felted anything and I was a bit scared that I’d get a matted mess of felted yarn out of the washer so I was very conservative with the felting time.
But I did buy yarn to make another one, this time I’ll be making the medium size. But that will come after I’ve finished my socks I’m working on for class and get my scarfs done that I started this summer (both in classes at the lys).
Halloween Crafts September 13, 2010
Man, it’s been a long time since I posted.
After browsing Dollar Store Crafts for a few weeks, I finally picked a project to do off the site. They are starting to put Halloween crafts up, and Halloween being my favorite holiday (and the only one I decorate for) I just had to make something.
So this is what I did on my day off today…..
It’s my version of the Bath Scrubber Halloween Wreath. I’m still debating adding a black crochet bow to it.
Total price of things I bought today:
1 13-in Vine Wreath ($1),
3 orange bath scrubbies ($3),
1 strand of black garland that had skullys on, but I took them off ($1)
1 skeleton ($1)
For a grand total of $6.
Things I had at home:
Hot glue gun w/glue sticks
26 gauge wire to hold the skeleton in place
Time required to put together:
Less than 30 minutes
It’s a very quick, nifty, easy and most importantly cheap project. Now I’m off to see what else I can make from the website.